Home
This site is intended for healthcare professionals
USMLE Step 1 Community
USMLE Step 1 Community
154 followers
Posted by Lucia Tello  |  7 May 2024
7 May 2024

Streptococcus can be in clusters?

In the question says "Blood cultures grew gram-positive cocci in clusters" which made me think of Staph but the medical history madde me think of Strep. Now, I don´t know if it was a coinfection or what happened there

Question:
A 58-year-old male patient is admitted to the hospital with shortness of breath and fatigue. His past medical history is significant for a dental extraction procedure 2 weeks ago. On physical examination, a new heart murmur is audible. Echocardiography revealed vegetations on the aortic valve. Blood cultures grew gram-positive cocci in clusters. What is the most likely diagnosis?
Options:
A)Infective endocarditis due to Streptococcus viridans
B)Rheumatic fever due to Group A Strep
C)Infective endocarditis due to Streptococcus mutans
D)Infective endocarditis due to Staph aureus
E)Pericarditis due to Coxsackie virus
→ View this question

Streptococcus can be in clusters?

In the question says "Blood cultures grew gram-positive cocci in clusters" which made me think of Staph but the medical history madde me think of Strep. Now, I don´t know if it was a coinfection or what happened there

Question:
A 58-year-old male patient is admitted to the hospital with shortness of breath and fatigue. His past medical history is significant for a dental extraction procedure 2 weeks ago. On physical examination, a new heart murmur is audible. Echocardiography revealed vegetations on the aortic valve. Blood cultures grew gram-positive cocci in clusters. What is the most likely diagnosis?
Options:
A)Infective endocarditis due to Streptococcus viridans
B)Rheumatic fever due to Group A Strep
C)Infective endocarditis due to Streptococcus mutans
D)Infective endocarditis due to Staph aureus
E)Pericarditis due to Coxsackie virus
→ View this question
9 May 2024

B

B