Home
This site is intended for healthcare professionals
USMLE Step 1 Community
USMLE Step 1 Community
154 followers
Posted by Sefi Feda  |  17 Feb 2024
17 Feb 2024

Levodopa

Why is not Levodopa the right answer here?

👍
Team MedAll has liked this
Question:
A 68-year-old man presents to his physician with symptoms of hallucinations and hand tremors. His wife reports that he often appears to be in a daze and confuses his surroundings and family members. Cerebral MRI reveals multiple punctate hyperintense lesions in the basal ganglia. Given this clinical picture, which of the following medications should the physician avoid to prevent exacerbation of the patient's condition?
Options:
A)Levodopa
B)Metoclopramide
C)Donepezil
D)L-dopa
E)Propranolol
→ View this question

Levodopa

Why is not Levodopa the right answer here?

👍
Question:
A 68-year-old man presents to his physician with symptoms of hallucinations and hand tremors. His wife reports that he often appears to be in a daze and confuses his surroundings and family members. Cerebral MRI reveals multiple punctate hyperintense lesions in the basal ganglia. Given this clinical picture, which of the following medications should the physician avoid to prevent exacerbation of the patient's condition?
Options:
A)Levodopa
B)Metoclopramide
C)Donepezil
D)L-dopa
E)Propranolol
→ View this question
Ryan Birt7 Jun 2024
7 Jun 2024

This is not asking what is his treatment. It is simply asking you know two things.

1 can you identify the pathology and likely underlying diagnosis which is parkinsonism

2 the side effects of medication and the medication that will worsen these symptoms and ultimately should therefore be avoided in this case.

This is not asking what is his treatment. It is simply asking you know two things.

1 can you identify the pathology and likely underlying diagnosis which is parkinsonism

2 the side effects of medication and the medication that will worsen these symptoms and ultimately should therefore be avoided in this case.

👍
Tatyana Singh17 Feb 2024
17 Feb 2024

So, I believe if we look at the clinical picture, the individual is suffering from an exacerbation of Parkinson's. Metoclopramide is on the list of drugs with "parkinson-like syndrome" as an adverse effect (just like antipsychotics and reserpine)- I found this on page 252 of FA22. While Levodopa could cause hallucinations, tremors, and confusion when given too much of it, I believe it is more prudent to avoid the metoclopramide-- levodopa when given with carbidopa tends to be more beneficial. Hope this helps!

So, I believe if we look at the clinical picture, the individual is suffering from an exacerbation of Parkinson's. Metoclopramide is on the list of drugs with "parkinson-like syndrome" as an adverse effect (just like antipsychotics and reserpine)- I found this on page 252 of FA22. While Levodopa could cause hallucinations, tremors, and confusion when given too much of it, I believe it is more prudent to avoid the metoclopramide-- levodopa when given with carbidopa tends to be more beneficial. Hope this helps!

👍
Mehmood Ali and 1 other have liked this