The BSIR Trainee journal club continues! This month we discuss the topic of carotid stenting vs endarterectomy.
Results from the Second Asymptomatic Carotid Surgery Trial (ACST-2) were published in the Lancet in September 2021. It is the largest trial of carotid stenting versus endarterectomy in asymptomatic patients, and has made a significant contribution to our understanding of the relative risks and benefits of the two interventions.
We are happy to have an expert, multi-disciplinary panel for this session:
- Dr Trevor Cleveland, Consultant Interventional Radiologist, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
- Dr Ralph Jackson, Consultant Interventional Radiologist, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals
- Prof Gerry Stansby, Professor of Vascular Surgery, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals
- Dr Tolani Lewis, Interventional Radiology Registrar, Health Education North West
- Dr John Reicher, Consultant Interventional Radiologist, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals
The webinar will feature brief presentations on the basics of carotid intervention, the background to ACST-2, and the results of the trial. These will be pitched at the level of a junior doctor without detailed specialist knowledge. There will then be a discussion by our expert panel, featuring internationally renowned clinicians with great experience in stenting, surgery and decision-making for patients with carotid disease.
The discussion will focus on the ACST-2 trial and related themes, including the treatment of asymptomatic carotid stenosis, different techniques for carotid stenting, and weighing up stenting and surgery for different patient groups. There will be an opportunity to ask questions of the panel.