Home
This site is intended for healthcare professionals
Royal College of Surgeons of England
Royal College of Surgeons of England
27 members, 2190 followers
Posted by Greta McLachlan  |  8 Mar 2024
8 Mar 2024

Q&A for International Women's Day Webinar

To celebrate International Women’s Day this year, we will be holding a webinar on the main International Women's Day theme, 'Inspire Inclusion', hosted by the Chair of the Woman in Surgery Forum (WinS) Tamzin Cuming.

👍
Farida Muhammad has liked this

Q&A for International Women's Day Webinar

To celebrate International Women’s Day this year, we will be holding a webinar on the main International Women's Day theme, 'Inspire Inclusion', hosted by the Chair of the Woman in Surgery Forum (WinS) Tamzin Cuming.

👍
Farida Muhammad has liked this
Bryony Lovett13 Mar 2024
13 Mar 2024

Excellent speakers speaking honestly about their experiences. Interesting thought, that experiencing your own diversity does not make you an expert on the experiences of others. You can of course still provide support!

Excellent speakers speaking honestly about their experiences. Interesting thought, that experiencing your own diversity does not make you an expert on the experiences of others. You can of course still provide support!

8 Mar 2024

representation is not the same as equity. Do women in surgery have the same opportunities for progression as their male counterparts

representation is not the same as equity. Do women in surgery have the same opportunities for progression as their male counterparts

👍
Rinku Sengupta has liked this
Bryony Lovett13 Mar 2024
13 Mar 2024

From my own perspective women in surgery do have the same opportunities for progression as their colleagues. Look at the opportunities around you, believe that you have the qualifications and drive to undertake them and keep applying. Not being successful at the first attempt should not put you off. Ask for feedback and consider how to build your portfolio so that next time you have that box ticked!

From my own perspective women in surgery do have the same opportunities for progression as their colleagues. Look at the opportunities around you, believe that you have the qualifications and drive to undertake them and keep applying. Not being successful at the first attempt should not put you off. Ask for feedback and consider how to build your portfolio so that next time you have that box ticked!

Lara Serni8 Mar 2024
8 Mar 2024

I am one of the medical students who are enthusiastic about surgery but many people do tell me it is going to be very hard for the life-work balance.

I am one of the medical students who are enthusiastic about surgery but many people do tell me it is going to be very hard for the life-work balance.

Daisy Davidson8 Mar 2024
8 Mar 2024

Knowing what you know now, What would be your top advice/tips for medical students who are keen to go into surgery in the future?

Knowing what you know now, What would be your top advice/tips for medical students who are keen to go into surgery in the future?

Lola Arowoshola8 Mar 2024
8 Mar 2024

As a black female FY2 doctor who came into medicine at an older age with children, when I say I'm interested in surgery, I get odd looks and disbelief. There is a focus on parenting in surgery but it's more towards starting a family during training. Do you feel there are additional barriers with being older and having kids at the early stages of training or later? Any tips for staying motivated?

As a black female FY2 doctor who came into medicine at an older age with children, when I say I'm interested in surgery, I get odd looks and disbelief. There is a focus on parenting in surgery but it's more towards starting a family during training. Do you feel there are additional barriers with being older and having kids at the early stages of training or later? Any tips for staying motivated?

anagha Vasant8 Mar 2024
8 Mar 2024

have the panel members faced a situation where they had to sacrifice their personal desires at the cost of the carrer choices

have the panel members faced a situation where they had to sacrifice their personal desires at the cost of the carrer choices

Cara Swain
Cara Swain
Cara Swain8 Mar 2024
8 Mar 2024

With awareness about women in surgery through RCS, more women in prominent roles with societies, and the increasing % of female consultants - I'm curious if the panel have experienced the view (from within/outside our specialty) that equity has been achieved?

With awareness about women in surgery through RCS, more women in prominent roles with societies, and the increasing % of female consultants - I'm curious if the panel have experienced the view (from within/outside our specialty) that equity has been achieved?

8 Mar 2024

I am so glad you are talking about the Kennedy Project - In the last week in my new rotation my AES threatened me with sex discrimination relating to my pregnancy (I don't want to be too detailed on the incident). My departments response has been disappointing - male consultants have made excuses for his behaviour. My deanery have reacted more robustly. I imagine this will become a formal grievance procedure. I am scared as a young doctor of this process - (1) Do you have any recommendations of resources surrounding women who have been through grievance processes and (2) can you recommend any resources/guidelines where I can gain more information on women in Surgery/equality

I am so glad you are talking about the Kennedy Project - In the last week in my new rotation my AES threatened me with sex discrimination relating to my pregnancy (I don't want to be too detailed on the incident). My departments response has been disappointing - male consultants have made excuses for his behaviour. My deanery have reacted more robustly. I imagine this will become a formal grievance procedure. I am scared as a young doctor of this process - (1) Do you have any recommendations of resources surrounding women who have been through grievance processes and (2) can you recommend any resources/guidelines where I can gain more information on women in Surgery/equality

8 Mar 2024

do the panel members find themselves expected to be experts in diversity just because of their identity

do the panel members find themselves expected to be experts in diversity just because of their identity

8 Mar 2024

given the importance psychological safety have the panel members felt that the culture in which they work allows them to feel safe enough to speak up at work

given the importance psychological safety have the panel members felt that the culture in which they work allows them to feel safe enough to speak up at work

Neneh Khan8 Mar 2024
8 Mar 2024

Any tips on finding a mentor for core surgical training/specialty training?

Any tips on finding a mentor for core surgical training/specialty training?

Bryony Lovett8 Mar 2024
8 Mar 2024

Both speakers have talked about the influence of being part of a team in being drawn into surgery. How do they suggest we continue to inspire younger colleagues to consider surgery as such teams are disrupted?

Both speakers have talked about the influence of being part of a team in being drawn into surgery. How do they suggest we continue to inspire younger colleagues to consider surgery as such teams are disrupted?

8 Mar 2024

Why women hesitate to go for surgery.

Why women hesitate to go for surgery.

8 Mar 2024

Happy international women's day

Happy international women's day

This comment has been removed